The Black Saturday fires devastated Australia and shocked the world. Now, the Country Fire Authority of Victoria has become a leading example of the use of social media for emergency management, winning this year’s Australian eGovernment award.
Martin Anderson, CFA’s Digital Media Manager and Australian Government 2.0 Innovator of the Year for 2012, explains how the experience of the February 2009 fires highlighted the importance of social communication tools in emergency situations, and that even within a command-and-control environment, agencies need to look outside the box, be flexible and improvise.
What I’m trying to do is explore and learn more myself, and also expose the principles of crowdsourcing and the benefits it can bring to the emergency services.
About Martin Anderson
Martin Anderson is the Digital Media Manager for the Country Fire Aurhority of Victoria, with a background in communications and journalism. During that time he has helped position the organisation as a recognised leader in the digital / social media field. His goal is to continue to use his diverse communication skills to help inform and engage people in ways that enhance their personal and working lives and encourage the development of strong, resilient communities both on and offline.
How you can use this episode
Listen to the episode
If you aren’t able to stream using the player below, please use the ‘play’ or ‘download’ links provided.
Episode links and resources
- CFA Facebook – warnings, incident updates, community safety, general news
- CFA Twitter for warnings, incident updates, media releases
- CFA Twitter for general CFA news
- CFA connect website
- CFA YourTube channel
- CFA wins e-Government awards
- Social media in emergency management presentation http://youtu.be/_EPnCdTPwgM
- CFA / DSE warnings / incidents page - http://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/warnings-and-incidents/index.htm
- Social media updates on website: http://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/warnings-and-incidents/social-media-updates.htm
- FireReady mobile apps - http://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/warnings-and-incidents/cfa-on-your-mobile.htm
- Article containing info on One Source, One Message http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/407737/country_fire_authority_preps_bushfires_hp/
Want more links? Check out our Delicious!
Social share with others
You can use the social sharing links at the top of the page to easily share this story with your networks. You can also follow and join in the social conversation about this episode with:
- People and organisations:
- Tags: #smem #gov2au #em2au
Want to recommend other tags? Add them in the Comments space below.
Feedback your comments and suggestions
Share your thoughts on this episode in the comments field below. This could include answering questions such as:
- What did you like in this conversation?
- Do you disagree with something said in this interview?
- Did this conversation leave something out that we should discuss in future?
- Does this trigger an episode or case that you’d like to see discussed
- Does this raise any topic or people that you think we should cover?
Please observe the Gov 2.0 Radio conversation etiquette.