From deploying Yammer for policy and program support, to creative use of YouTube for recruitment, and through to using QR codes to create the world’s first Wikipedia town, the UK’s Monmouthshire County Council is a leading example of how local government can move beyond social tech to social communication for internal and external engagement.
Helen Reynolds, Communications Officer for Monmouthshire County Council discusses a selection of these innovative initiatives, and also shares her experience with introducing these ideas into local government, and how influence rather than ROI matters for public sector use of social media channels and tools.
By being in social spaces where people are, and by being relevant and providing information that’s timely and worth engaging with – that’s how we build our influence as government.
About Helen Reynolds
Helen works for Monmouthshire County Council and is responsible for the council’s social media programme. She has also advised a number of other public sector organisations on making the most of new technologies for better engagement. As a result of the work she’s done Monmouthshire Council has taken a number of innovative approaches to engagement, won UK social media and PR awards and the authority has become a vastly more approachable organisation.
She’s particularly passionate about making government accessible and easier to understand.
How you can use this episode
Listen to the episode
|If you aren’t able to stream using the player below, please use the ‘play’ or ‘download’ links provided.Play episode | Download episode|
Episode links and resources
- Helen Reynolds’ blog
- ROI of social media in public service
- Social media for social care: how Monmouthshire foster carers support each other with Yammer
- Monmouthpedia including Monmouthpedia Day
- Monmouthshire County Council social media page and guidance for staff (linked at the bottom) and council blog
- Some feedback on Twitter
- Facebook and youth services
- Opening up social media access to all staff
- Recruiting on Youtube
On the foster carers Yammer community
Want more links? Check out our Delicious!
Social share with others
You can use the social sharing links at the top of the page to easily share this story with your networks. You can also follow and join in the social conversation about this episode with:
- People and organisations:
- Tags: #Monmouthpedia #monmouthshire #localgov #innovation #socmed
Want to recommend other tags? Add them in the Comments space below.
Feedback your comments and suggestions
Share your thoughts on this episode in the comments field below. This could include answering questions such as:
- What did you like in this conversation?
- Do you disagree with something said in this interview?
- Did this conversation leave something out that we should discuss in future?
- Does this trigger an episode or case that you’d like to see discussed
- Does this raise any topic or people that you think we should cover?
Please observe the Gov 2.0 Radio conversation etiquette.